IMPORTANT DATES FOR OUR PARISH
6.15 to 8.15 pm HSI School of Discipleship in Community Centre
Youth Group meet in the Hall after 5:00pm Mass
Young Adults (18 -29 years) meet in Theatrette from 6:00pm
|Baptisms||Baptisms held 1st & 3rd Sundays at 12 noon. Baptism Preparation Meeting held on the 1st Monday of the month at 7:00pm in Church.|
|1st Fridays||7:00pm to 8:15pm starting with Mass|
|Healing Mass||Next Healing Mass will be held on 7th March 2020, 1:30pm to 4:30pm.|
|3rd Sunday||5:00pm Youth Mass|
7:30pm Mother of Perpetual Succour Novena after 7:00pm Mass
7:00pm to 8:30pm RCIA in Theatrette
ST. VINCENT DE PAUL
The St. Vincent de Paul Conference is desperately looking for new members to continue helping those in need in our parish. Please contact the Parish Office on 9749 4300 if you can help.
ROSTERS NOW AVAILABLE FOR COLLECTION FROM THE HALL
- Lectors and Communion Ministers
- Communion to the Sick
- Piety Store. Please note that in the future Piety Store rosters will be sent by email. A paper copy will be available only to those who request one.
The following changes have been implemented as a precautionary measure due to the current health issues associated with the Corona Virus:
- Holy Communion will only be given under the one species i.e. The Body of Christ. The Precious Blood will not be distributed.
- The Sign of Peace will be announced verbally only.
This will continue until further notice.
SUNDAY SCHOOL & SACRAMENTAL PROGRAMME
(for Children attending non Catholic Schools)
Classes every Sunday 9.15am to 10:25am. Please bring along Child's Baptism Certificate to be sighted. Find us by following the arrows on the brick walls. For any enquiries please phone Bernice on 9749 2812.
HSI SCHOOL OF DISCIPLESHIP – 2020
The 2020 session of the Holy Spirit Interactive (HSI) School of Discipleship will commence on Sunday 23rd February at 6:15pm at the Community Centre. This is a faith outreach program aimed to teach members more about our Catholic faith with three purposes – to learn it, live it and share it. The school has been successfully running for the past 3 consecutive years in our parish. All are welcome to join. For further information, contact Paul Fitzgerald on 0417 355 186 or Anita D’Souza on 0411 772 320.
ASH WEDNESDAY – 26TH FEBRUARY 2020
A reminder that Ash Wednesday is an obligatory day of fast and abstinence. It is also the start of Lent which is a penitential season of prayer, self-denial and helping others. Masses will be as follows:
Wednesday, 26th February 2020
8:30am, 10:00am (School Mass), 7 pm.
STATIONS OF THE CROSS DURING LENT
Stations of the Cross will be held every Friday during Lent at 7:00pm followed by Mass. This year again we are seeking various parish ministries to lead and conduct the weekly Stations of the Cross. Emails have been sent to all Ministry Leaders. If your ministry is interested please advise the Parish Office of the same. Stations of the Cross on Friday 28th February will be conducted by the HSI School of Discipleship.
IMPORTANT LENTEN INFORMATION
Ash Wednesday & Good Friday are days of Fasting and Abstinence from meat. All other Fridays, except solemnities, the law of the common practice of penance is fulfilled by any one of the following:
- Prayer eg – Mass attendance; family prayer; a visit to a church or chapel; reading the Bible; making Stations of the Cross; praying the Rosary, etc.
- Self Denial eg – not eating meat, sweets or dessert; giving up entertainment to spend time with family; limiting food and drink to give to the poor of one's own country or elsewhere, etc. Project Compassion is a major means of expressing self-denial in Australia.
- Helping Others eg – special attention to someone who is poor, sick, elderly, lonely or overburdened, etc.
- All who have turned 18 and who are not yet 60 are bound to fast. All who have completed 14 are bound to abstain. (Canon 1252)
- Lent is a time of penance. During this season the faithful are exhorted to devote themselves in a special manner to prayer, to engage in works of piety and charity and to deny themselves.
- All faithful are obliged to receive Holy Communion at least once a year. This precept must be fulfilled between Ash Wednesday 6 March 19 and Trinity Sunday, 16 June 19 unless for a good reason it is fulfilled at another time during the year.
The wonderful gift of the Lord’s merciful love is offered in a special way in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Lent is a most appropriate time to receive this Sacrament. All who have reached the age of discretion are bound faithfully to confess their grave sins at least once a year.
FUNERALS on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday are forbidden. Funerals on these days are celebrated with the Liturgy of the Word and without the Eucharistic Sacrifice.
WEDDINGS are discouraged on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday. If they are required, no decorations including flowers, no music or Nuptial Mass will be permitted.
ST. PETER’S ANNUAL LENTEN PILGRIMAGE
Where: Our Lady Ta’ Pinu Shrine, 15 Flanagans Drive, Merrimu
When: Saturday, 14th March
10:30am Way of the Cross
12:00pm Eucharistic Mass, Celebrant Fr. Vincent John CMI
1:00pm to 2:30pm Fellowship
All are invited to attend.
JOSEPH’S CORNER COURSE
Improving Self-Esteem and Valuing Oneself.
Every Thursday from 5th to 26th March. 10:00am to 12:00pm. At Joseph’s Corner, Cnr. Campbell & Bellin Streets, Laverton. FREE, but Gold Coin donation appreciated. Tea & Coffee provided. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 9315 2680.
EDMUND RICE COMMUNITY & REFUGEE SERVICES are seeking Volunteers to help primary and secondary school children with homework, preparing food, and other activities, on Mondays and Wednesdays at Penrose Promenade Community Centre, 83 Penrose Promenade, Tarneit, 3:15pm to 5:15pm. Please call 0423 797 088 or 0435 964 314 for further information.
We pray for Fr Rodney Pitts PE, Vincenzo Trantino and all who have passed away recently.
We pray for Pedro Alinea, Apolonia dela Cruz, Anthony Azzopardi, Helena Meehan, Peter Coghlan, Rolando Sanchez, Nazzareno Fortuna and all whose anniversaries occur at this time.
PRAYERS FOR THE SICK
We pray for Leo Linehan, Gary Spotswood, Sean Donaldson, Kath Meddings, Lucy Ballan, Irene Jones, Thais Long, Jean Cameron, Godwin Arandez, Gordon Newman, Francine Foster, Sam Caruana, Therese Mary, Zandi Falzon, Harriet Calvert, Robel Rosales, Rey Medina, Denis Webber, Lourdes Sequeira, Mary D'cruz, Leo Mellewa, Pat Heffernan, Andrea Clayburn, Yvonne Clayton, Monique Hoaster, Alphonsus De Roza, Francis Goonting, Avis Fernandes, Aiden Leonard, Elvira de Torres, Margaret Richardson, Melville Pereira, Wilfredo Villareal, Carl Fernando and all who are ill in our Parish.
Money Counters – 1 Mar 2020
|John Allen / Jules & Neeta Pereira|
Readers – 29 Feb/1 Mar 2020
Extraordinary Ministers of Communion - 29 Feb/1 Mar 2020
|6:00pm||S. Joseph / J. Tramontana / M. Maple / Davy F.|
|8:30am||Karen F. / C. Coelho / S. Gomez / R. Johnson|
|10:30am||E. Mills / N. Costa / S. Vaz / C. Peters|
|5:00pm||A&M Etiennette / C. Skinner / R. Perera|
Music Ministry – 29 Feb/1 Mar 2020